I used to think that meditation and mindfulness was nothing but woo woo. I was one of those people that considered anything out of the ordinary to be odd, or to seem “crazy.”
The more I learned, the more I became aware of the power of the mind, and how strong it can be when trained properly. I think it was the passing of my father more than anything that really got me into the early stages of understanding what mindfulness truly meant, and how it can be used to better one’s life.
Flash forward to the end of 2019, and I even wrote a list of some of my biggest lessons I have learned in the last couple of years, when it applies to mindfulness. In no particular order, they are:
1. Nothing is ever as scary as it seems. We spend so much of our life in fear, do your best to push fear aside and go for it, no matter what scares you, just do it!
2. Life is short, take risks and do the fun shit! I think the worst thing for me would be to look back at my life and wonder what an experience might have been like. Take risks and grow. Our time here is short after all, make the most of it! Thanks for that wisdom Kim Carrol!
3. Meditation has the power to change all we are and can be. Embrace it, embrace being present and embrace the fact that you are not your thoughts, we are animals and we are wired a certain way. We have the power to change our thoughts and be the best version of ourselves we can be! This was a big one for me in 2019…
4. Family truly is everything. No matter what, family will always be there for you, never ever take that for granted! No fame, money or material object is more important than family
5. Exercise! Exercise is so important for so many reasons. Do it often and do it as much as you can, it’s the true depression\anxiety relief!
6. Question everything and think for yourself. Humans love to do what is easy. Easy isn’t where true happiness or success is. Think for yourself and embrace what might be…
7. Cannabis can be an amazing medicine when used correctly. Nothing more to say, do your research and do what is right for you.
8. People are doing the best they can with the tools they have. When you understand people with this way of thinking, you start to see the good in others and not the bad. Most of us are walking around with scars from our childhood still and not even knowing it!
9. When in doubt, pause. Usually when we are upset we are acting from a part of our reptilian brain, we are literally hijacked momentarily. Step back, take your time, calm down, then react. 9 times out of 10 this will make life much easier!
10. Veganism is winning! 15 years ago when I embarked on this journey of avoiding animal suffering at all costs, I was the odd one, I was the guy that no one understood, and no one agreed with, I was made fun of and called names, well guess what, WHOS LAUGHING NOW! 🙂
11. Last but not least, be grateful. Be grateful every single day you are alive, be grateful not only for the big things but the small things too. It’s the small moments that make us who we are and what literally is our day to day life. Even in the bad there is always something to be grateful for, ITS ALL HOW YOU LOOK AT IT!
From one Plant Addict to another,